You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-07 09:11:57

train_wreck

Install to Alix 2d2 i586 board?

I am trying to install Arch 32 onto an Alix 2d2 board based on the AMD Geode chipset. I know Arch used to work on this, because I was running it a number of years ago. I am using a PXE server to install, and am getting the following message when trying to boot the Alix board:

"This kernel requires an i686 CPU, but only detected an i586 CPU.
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU."

I have made sure to add the "arch=i686" kernel parameter.

Does Arch 32 work with such a setup?

#2 2019-02-07 09:58:12

andreas_baumann
Administrator
Website

Re: Install to Alix 2d2 i586 board?

You have to use the i486 packages, the Geode lacks some opcodes which are now used in the i686 version of glibc.

I did a small walkthrough on https://bbs.archlinux32.org/viewtopic.php?id=510

I didn't have any luck booting an USB stick on the Alix, so I just installed the Compact flash from another
PC with a Compact flash reader/writer in it, setting Architecture=i486 and doing a pacstrap.

PXE was also no option on the device.

Note also: currently this i486 branch has only a very limited set of packages, mainly text-based, no
Xorg, nothing depending on librsvg (I'm looking at you - librsvg/rust).

Another potential problem: I'm using an Alix with a normal BIOS, yours has a  tinyBIOS. There you
might be into some fiddling how to load the ramdisk and the kernel from tinyBIOS (I have no experience
here as my other Alix with tinyBIOS is running OpenBSD and is my central router, so no fiddling there for
me :-) ).

#3 2019-02-07 10:03:35

train_wreck

OK thanks. Will have to find a Compact Flash reader somewhere lol.

#4 2019-02-07 10:09:40

andreas_baumann
Administrator
Website

Aha:

"With your serial console ready, plug in the ALIX board’s power adapter, and you should see the board begin to boot. While the memory check is being performed, press the ‘s’ key to enter the tinyBIOS settings, and verify that PXE boot is enabled (if it isn’t, press ‘e’ to toggle it)."

So PXE is another option. But then you have to go through a DHCP, TFTP, extract root image to NBD or NFS, etc. hazzle I did that for some other old machines booting just a iPXE floppy, but it's a hazzle to set up and I currently don't have a nice walkthrough (though some hints maybe in this forum in section "Artwork, Screenshots & Setups", https://bbs.archlinux32.org/viewtopic.php?id=360 ).

Board footer