You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-07 23:49:50

levi

'cp: cannot stat '(builtin)': No such file or directory' during update

I'll start off by saying thanks for the prompt update to firefox on Saturday, which I only heard about first on Friday.  There's been an update since but I don't think that has any security implementatons, so I'm happy with 74.0.1 for the time being at least.

However, for over a week now I've been getting an error when doing an update that involves rebuilding the linux initcpios.

-> Running build hook: [fsck]
  -> Running build hook: [shutdown]
cp: cannot stat '(builtin)': No such file or directory
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.

That 'cannot stat '(builtin)' error sounds like a comment that's been misinterpreted as a file by cp, and it doesn't stop the upgrade since it happens so late in the update process, but it indicates a typo that should probably be checked somewhere.

Note I have my /usr folder on a different device to my /boot partition, so I have added the usr and shutdown hooks in addition to the fsck one which was already there, as per the instructional note in the mkinitcpio.conf itself.  I've not yet found the text '(builtin)' in the files I've looked at.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#2 2020-04-08 02:31:35

mfZnjnPx

Re: 'cp: cannot stat '(builtin)': No such file or directory' during update

https://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do … k_id=65564

the most relevant post there says "it's a harmless error." 

side note, you could download the portable version of firefox directly from mozilla, and it updates automatically whenever there's an update.

#3 2020-04-08 06:57:10

levi

Ah thanks, I hadn't noticed this happening on my 64-bit boxen, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

I'm aware that I can download firefox from mozilla, but I prefer a version specifically built for my SSE2 supporting box which also updates automatically whenever I do a system update. And thus prompt updates when a security hole is identified are appreciated.

But in any case, it looks like this issue should be resolved upstream within the next few weeks.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#4 2020-04-08 07:56:34

deep42thought
Administrator

It does not happen on x86_64, but the reason for that is, that they have configured their kernel slightly different - so some module is "(builtin)" for us, where it's a real module for them.
Note, that mkinitcpio exits with code 1 due to that error/warning, which is not a problem for pacman, but makes mkarchiso fail.

Board footer