You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-22 15:00:34

Ferdinand

Login incorrect with correct password on pretty new install

Hi!

I'm unsure where this fits, so I posted under Installation smile

I recently installed Arch32 on an Eee PC 1005HA, and it works like a charm. Thank's for providing a 32-bit version of Arch!

I have been playing around for a few days, just tweaking it, and been very careful to do everything by the book (i.e. the Arch Wiki smile )
I've used Manjaro for a few year, but Arch is still new to me - so I'm trying to learn, and therefore I don't do stuff I don't understand.

The reason I emphasize that is that I have a really newbie kind of problem, but I can't figure out what causes it.

I get password incorrect from my login, whether I try from LightDM or the console.

It happened out of the blue about an hour ago - I do a pacman -Syu on a daily basis, and I had just done that today, and after I booted I couldn't get back in.

It smelled fishy, so I immediately booted on the install-ISO, arch-chrooted, installed rkhunter and ran it. It found nothing, so I changed my users password (from the chroot) and booted back to my system. Still the same error; Login incorrect.

I am dead certain that I use the correct password, so something else is amiss.

Have anybody else experienced anything like this after the last update?

As I can change my password from the chroot (I see the entry in /etc/shadow changes) I'm a bit at a loss as to what can be going on - so any help or ideas are most welcome smile

#2 2020-08-22 16:04:18

JanErik

Re: Login incorrect with correct password on pretty new install

Yes, I also made a thread here in Installation.

#3 2020-08-22 17:15:30

Ferdinand

Aww.. sorry - I was too quick - I should have replied to you. Sorry about that tongue

What you're saying is pretty fundamental:

JanErik wrote:

Did a new install, set password for root in arch-chroot and rebooted - password not valid.

That reads to me as potentially any new install would en effect fail?

I was thinking of maybe reinstalling the filesystem package (it owns /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow and that stuff), but I guess by what you're saying that it wouldn't help.

Looking through the pacman.log I see that the following was done in the upgrade today:

• Upgrading archlinux-keyring

• Upgrading hwids

• Upgrading iana-etc

• Upgrading linux-api-headers

• Upgrading lmdb

• Upgrading man-pages

• Upgrading pambase

• Upgrading pango

• Running 30-systemd-update.hook

I don't know if pambase can be a culprit?

Uh.. the correct link for Arch32 is https://www.archlinux32.org/packages/i686/core/pambase/ but that page looks strange?

Last edited by Ferdinand (2020-08-22 17:20:05)

#4 2020-08-22 17:17:42

abaumann
Administrator
Website

See https://bbs.archlinux32.org/viewtopic.p … 7330#p7330

pambase is an any package, most likely the package API has a bug.

Board footer