You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-16 10:28:59

AhmadRaniri

[Solved] Window manager isn't seem friendly with smplayer.

I have a weird bug from smplayer, I can't open file chooser / browser when I am using smplayer on window manager (icewm, openbox, xfwm4). Everytime I try to open files (via ctrl+f) I get a blank "file browser" window and then smplayer forces closed. it happens just on window manager, complete DE (lxde, xfce) works fine. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by AhmadRaniri (2021-01-17 04:06:52)

#2 2021-01-16 18:34:08

levi

Re: [Solved] Window manager isn't seem friendly with smplayer.

The file browser on my openbox+bits of lxde install also never worked and would take down any programs using it.  I'm not sure but I think I must have uninstalled it because I can't find it any more.  I don't know smplayer, but I can use mplayer to play back music, and I find cvlc works best for videos on my hardware for some years now.  Mplayer playing back video got slower and slower, so I gave up using it.  You generally spawn those programs from a terminal after navigating the folders using 'cd'.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#3 2021-01-16 23:45:16

AhmadRaniri

So, it's seem smplayer's malfunction or the WM itself?

#4 2021-01-17 01:16:25

levi

I don't know off hand what smplayer uses as a file browser; if it's internal then I reckon that's a bug in the smplayer package.  I can't see smplaying indicating a dependency on a file browser, but those dependencies aren't always complete.

I just installed smplayer to test this out.  The file browser looks internal, or perhaps that provided by qt5, rather than a discrete application like thunar or pc-man.  It works for me, although I am using the testing repository.

For all of the listed dependencies, I have the following that are newer from testing:
qt5-script
libx11
mpv
zlib
gcc-libs

All the rest of the dependencies come from the standard repos:
qt5-base
glibc
hicolor-icon-theme

Of those perhaps the newer qt5-script makes the difference, or perhaps more likely is that I've got something installed for some other reason that's actually needed by smplayer to view files.

If you start smplayer from a terminal, does it spit out any logs?

For me it only spits out a line to identify itself and then is quiet, but I might expect a termination to result in some kind of crash report that maybe makes sense to one of us.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#5 2021-01-17 02:36:58

AhmadRaniri

Tried to run from terminal and when I press ctrl+f smplayer forces closed, I got this :
:$ smplayer                                                                   
This is SMPlayer v. 20.6.0 (revision 9418) running on Linux
[1]    24379 abort (core dumped)  smplayer
(I am sorry I can't show it properly on quote).

#6 2021-01-17 04:01:56

AhmadRaniri

Ended compiling the late version and works... Thanks. I'll mark it as solved.
Edit : re-check, after latest update, recent version from repo works fine too... Thanks.

Last edited by AhmadRaniri (2021-01-17 05:01:58)

#7 2021-01-17 07:17:32

levi

Hmm, I wonder what happened there.  Presumably some package it uses got updated, because it's the same version that worked for me that crashed for you.  You can sort you local archive of packages into order by doing 'ls -lrtc /var/cache/pacman/pkg', and that might be illuminating.  For example I notice that boost got updated in the 12th, and it could conceivably have been that.

FWIW, you can get a core dump out of systemd using 'coredumpctl dump -o core.img', and then you can load that into 'gdb -c core.img'.  I won't assume you know how to drive gdb, but you can usually type 'bt' to get a backtrace which will trace through the function calls that resulted in the crash, and type 'q' to quit.

Board footer