You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-13 19:51:49

jimarch
Member
Registered: 2019-01-12
Posts: 1

[LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

Since the last upgrade of the system, iI have the following problem


$ soffice
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so.63: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

$ uname -a
Linux ANA 5.0.7-arch1-1.0-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 9 13:10:14 CEST 2019 i686 GNU/Linux
Operating System: Linux 5.0.7-arch1-1.0-ARCH i686


$ pacman -Q libreoffice
libreoffice-still 6.1.5-2.0

$ ls -F1 /usr/lib/libicuuc.so*
/usr/lib/libicuuc.so@
/usr/lib/libicuuc.so.64@
/usr/lib/libicuuc.so.64.2*

$ pacman -Qo /usr/lib/libicuuc.so* /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin
/usr/lib/libicuuc.so appartient à icu 64.2-1.0
/usr/lib/libicuuc.so.64 appartient à icu 64.2-1.0
/usr/lib/libicuuc.so.64.2 appartient à icu 64.2-1.0
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin appartient à libreoffice-still 6.1.5-2.0


Libreoffice needs a new compilation !

Offline

#2 2019-05-13 21:19:16

levi
Moderator
From: Yorkshire, UK
Registered: 2018-06-16
Posts: 464

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so


Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

Offline

#3 2019-05-20 04:41:53

radli
Member
Registered: 2018-04-27
Posts: 27

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

libreoffice-still 6.1.5 is too affected.

xcart-aim-arch[~]$ yaourt -Qs libreoffice     
extra/libcdr 0.1.5-2.0
    CorelDraw file format importer library for LibreOffice
extra/libreoffice-still 6.1.5-2.0
    LibreOffice maintenance branch
extra/libreoffice-still-ru 6.1.5-1.0
    Russian language pack for LibreOffice still
xcart-aim-arch[~]$ yaourt -Qs icu        
extra/harfbuzz-icu 2.4.0-2.0
    OpenType text shaping engine (ICU integration)
core/icu 64.2-1.0
    International Components for Unicode library
xcart-aim-arch[~]$ libreoffice 
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so.63: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Offline

#4 2019-05-20 16:59:52

levi
Moderator
From: Yorkshire, UK
Registered: 2018-06-16
Posts: 464

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

Yes.

Note however there seem to be some complications in setting up the build environment for libreoffice and its ilk, at least on the pentium4 platform:
https://bugs.archlinux32.org/index.php? … &pagenum=2

I'd expect that to slow up releases of those tools.


Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

Offline

#5 2019-05-22 10:53:01

goverp
Member
Registered: 2018-03-03
Posts: 5

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

Me too, on non-pentium4 kit, just did a pacman -Suy.

Currently have:
libreoffice-still 6.1.5-2.0
icu 64.2-1.0

and the message is
[paul@arch ~]$ libreoffice
Warning: failed to read path from javaldx
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so.63: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(I assume the javaldx message is an irrelevant configuration issue on my machine - I have never installed java on this box, and libreoffice was happy until the upgrade.)

Last edited by goverp (2019-05-22 10:55:05)

Offline

#6 2019-07-02 15:12:54

Sanras
Member
From: Texas, US
Registered: 2019-07-02
Posts: 7

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

So is this gonna get fixed anytime soon, or are we just OK with broken LibreOffice? Seriously people, its been two months and this is STILL not fixed?!? WTF.

Offline

#7 2019-07-02 18:53:32

levi
Moderator
From: Yorkshire, UK
Registered: 2018-06-16
Posts: 464

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

You can work around the issue, by unpacking some old libs, but I'd agree this is kind of a severe bug so I'd probably appreciate a news post about what's stopping it build.


Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

Offline

#8 2019-07-03 01:49:34

Sanras
Member
From: Texas, US
Registered: 2019-07-02
Posts: 7

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

Agreed. It's kind of ridiculous that the main Linux office suite has been broken for so long. Anyway, you mentioned using old libs. Can you tell me how to do this? (I'm fairly new to arch)

Offline

#9 2019-07-03 02:36:42

levi
Moderator
From: Yorkshire, UK
Registered: 2018-06-16
Posts: 464

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

If you're new to arch, you might have to hunt out these old libs.  I had them lying around in my /var/cache/pacman/pkg folder.  libiccu.so.63 lives in icu-63.1-2.1-i686.pkg.tar.xz for example; you can discover this by looking at the libiccu.so file you have installed currently (libiccu.so.64) and running that against 'pacman -Qo' to get the package name.  There's a number of things you can do when you have this information and the relevant old icu package, and personally I decided to unpack is using 'bsdtar -xzf' to a temp folder in my home dir then 'sudo cp'ing them alongside the currently installed packages in my /usr/lib folder and regenerated the symlinks using 'ln -s'.  It's a recursive process that takes a few rounds before libreoffice can start, start by solving the libiccu.so error, and then it'll return another lib if fails on and you'll need to find and unpack that, but once libreoffice starts in my experience, it's basically happy.

The remaining question is where you'd find these old libs if you didn't upgrade to arch32 from the old arch i686 and still haven't purged them from your /var/cache folder.  Personally I'm now at the stage where I can no longer safely use pacman -Sc to clean it out because it would nuke these old libs, and instead I sorr the folder by reverse size ('ls -rS') so the biggest files come at the end just above my next propmpt, and select some big old packages I'm pretty sure never to need again.  But if you don't have them lying around I'm not actually sure just now where you'd get them - are the old arch i686 repos even still up anywhere?


Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

Offline

#10 2019-07-03 04:34:13

deep42thought
Administrator
From: Jena, Germany
Registered: 2017-06-17
Posts: 450

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

the blocker is java

Offline

#11 2019-07-03 14:09:30

Sanras
Member
From: Texas, US
Registered: 2019-07-02
Posts: 7

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

levi wrote:

If you're new to arch, you might have to hunt out these old libs.  I had them lying around in my /var/cache/pacman/pkg folder.  libiccu.so.63 lives in icu-63.1-2.1-i686.pkg.tar.xz for example; you can discover this by looking at the libiccu.so file you have installed currently (libiccu.so.64) and running that against 'pacman -Qo' to get the package name.  There's a number of things you can do when you have this information and the relevant old icu package, and personally I decided to unpack is using 'bsdtar -xzf' to a temp folder in my home dir then 'sudo cp'ing them alongside the currently installed packages in my /usr/lib folder and regenerated the symlinks using 'ln -s'.  It's a recursive process that takes a few rounds before libreoffice can start, start by solving the libiccu.so error, and then it'll return another lib if fails on and you'll need to find and unpack that, but once libreoffice starts in my experience, it's basically happy.

The remaining question is where you'd find these old libs if you didn't upgrade to arch32 from the old arch i686 and still haven't purged them from your /var/cache folder.  Personally I'm now at the stage where I can no longer safely use pacman -Sc to clean it out because it would nuke these old libs, and instead I sorr the folder by reverse size ('ls -rS') so the biggest files come at the end just above my next propmpt, and select some big old packages I'm pretty sure never to need again.  But if you don't have them lying around I'm not actually sure just now where you'd get them - are the old arch i686 repos even still up anywhere?

They are, actually. You can find the old icu .pkgs here: https://archive.archlinux32.org/packages/i/icu/

Also, what do you mean by regenerate links by running ln -s? Don't you need to give it a path when using that command? Or did you just run that command in /usr/lib after copying the old libraries in?

Last edited by Sanras (2019-07-03 14:35:43)

Offline

#12 2019-07-03 14:10:50

Sanras
Member
From: Texas, US
Registered: 2019-07-02
Posts: 7

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

deep42thought wrote:

the blocker is java

I DO have Java. This is a different issue. LibreOffice is requiring old outdated icu libs that are not installed on our systems anymore.

Offline

#13 2019-07-03 16:41:34

levi
Moderator
From: Yorkshire, UK
Registered: 2018-06-16
Posts: 464

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

Sanras wrote:
levi wrote:

I'm not actually sure just now where you'd get them - are the old arch i686 repos even still up anywhere?

They are, actually. You can find the old icu .pkgs here: https://archive.archlinux32.org/packages/i/icu/

Nice try, but I don't mean those.  I mean the ones that the mainstream archlinux project used to ship.  Since arch32 became a thing, only icu 64 has ever been built, but we need a 63 to get libreoffice to work.

Sanras wrote:

Also, what do you mean by regenerate links by running ln -s? Don't you need to give it a path when using that command? Or did you just run that command in /usr/lib after copying the old libraries in?

In /usr/lib look at almost any .so file; it's actually a symlink to /usr/lib/*.so.number.number, as is /usr/lib/*.so.number a link to the same actual target.  This is so that things can load or depend on less specific versions of libs if they don't really care exactly what version they're using.  I didn't test to see how libreoffice was loading these libs in so you might not need to link them all, but it's good practice to have them all so that anything that depends works.  You probably won't be able to create the *.so to *.so.number though, because *.so is already a symlink to the actual new version you've already got installed, and you should leave that one alone.

And I assume that deep42thought means that the build system needs java.  I guess it might be a hangover because libreoffice is a fork of openoffice which was a fork of sun's staroffice back in the days of yore, even though the look and feel and performance is completely different to how it was back then.  In said days of yore, Sun also owned Java so they probably wrote their build system in the damn stuff.


Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

Offline

#14 2019-07-04 11:47:39

deep42thought
Administrator
From: Jena, Germany
Registered: 2017-06-17
Posts: 450

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

Sanras wrote:
deep42thought wrote:

the blocker is java

I DO have Java. This is a different issue. LibreOffice is requiring old outdated icu libs that are not installed on our systems anymore.

Sry for my short-leashed answer. What I meant was, that the broken java build currently blocks the libreoffice build. I can try to build libreoffice anyways (but then, it probably will need to be rebuilt once java has been built).

Offline

#15 2019-07-04 14:04:21

Sanras
Member
From: Texas, US
Registered: 2019-07-02
Posts: 7

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

deep42thought wrote:
Sanras wrote:
deep42thought wrote:

the blocker is java

I DO have Java. This is a different issue. LibreOffice is requiring old outdated icu libs that are not installed on our systems anymore.

Sry for my short-leashed answer. What I meant was, that the broken java build currently blocks the libreoffice build. I can try to build libreoffice anyways (but then, it probably will need to be rebuilt once java has been built).

Ah, I see. Any clue as to when this might all be fixed?

Offline

#16 2019-07-04 19:22:53

levi
Moderator
From: Yorkshire, UK
Registered: 2018-06-16
Posts: 464

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

FWIW, I for one have never felt the need to install java to run libreoffice.  It does squawk when I start it up, but I've never found out why I should care that I've not got it installed; it doesn't block anything I normally do in libreoffice.  But yes, it does have a dependency that I've not discovered yet, but for my purposes I suspect I don't care what java you build that against.  I'd appreciate an interim libreoffice because in a tidy up the other day I accidentally deleted all of my hacks to get old libreoffice to run, but my use of libreoffice on this machine turns out actually to be not something I use very often.  But still, it's nice to have and is the kind of thing I expect to be able to run on a modern OS.


Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

Offline

#17 2019-07-04 22:41:45

Sanras
Member
From: Texas, US
Registered: 2019-07-02
Posts: 7

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

Ok, I have gotten LibreOffice up and running: Here is my method -

1. Download icu-63.1-2.1-i686.pkg.tar.xz from https://archive.archlinux32.org/packages/i/icu/
2. Use bsdtar -xzf to extract package.
3. Create a directory called "oldlibs" in /opt.
4. cp all files in the libs directory of the extracted package into oldlibs.
5. Now, run LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/oldlibs libreoffice to start libreoffice.

The obvious problem with this method is that you have to use that command to start LibreOffice every time. However, it does not mess with the system, or leave outdated libs lying around. Once LibreOffice is fixed, I can simply delete oldlibs and use LibreOffice normally.

Offline

#18 2019-07-05 04:43:07

levi
Moderator
From: Yorkshire, UK
Registered: 2018-06-16
Posts: 464

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

Did you only have to unpack that one icu package to make libreoffice work?  Maybe I'm misremembering and I had to unpack a number of different libs to get mplayer to run before it was fixed last month, rather than libreoffice.  And sorry for saying the old icu packages weren't there.  I didn't think old libs had been built, and I thought I checked your link before dismissing it but I must be mistaken there.

Just tested it out, and yes that one package makes libreoffice run.  Nice work!


Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

Offline

#19 2019-07-08 08:58:50

cellux
Member
Registered: 2019-07-08
Posts: 1

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

Building the icu63 package from AUR seems to have solved this problem for me.

1. git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/icu63/
2. Add 'pentium4' to the arch field in PKGBUILD
3. makepkg -s
4. sudo pacman -U icu63-63.2-1-pentium4.pkg.tar.xz

Offline

#20 2019-08-28 15:56:47

levi
Moderator
From: Yorkshire, UK
Registered: 2018-06-16
Posts: 464

Re: [LibreOffice] error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so

FWIW, you can all delete your workarounds now.  Since an update almost a week ago now, libreoffice has been rebuild to depend on the right version of libicuuc, so it runs without you needing to point at any old libs now.


Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB