You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-29 01:41:25

anselm

Major slowdown after the last update

I updated my system, but after that I experienced a major slowdown: even the mouse movements are jerky, choppy. Of course I disabled the Baloo file extractor, before experimenting. I have a guess that Nouveau causes the problem, because the browsing performance is also very slow: scrolling web pages are also jerky, choppy, tearing appears on the scrolled webpages.

Then I tried to install the nvidia-96xx-dkms driver instead of nouveau, so I downgraded the kernel to 4.3.3-3 as well. After installing the driver, I noticed that Xfce4 doesn't work with it properly: graphics distortions, windows has no close button (X), windows can't be moved with mouse, clipboard doesn't work, etc. So I installed LXDE, and now it works properly. The problem is it doesn't have a weather plugin on the taskbar.

My graphics card is nvidia MX440.

#2 2019-08-29 04:43:26

levi

Re: Major slowdown after the last update

lxpanel-gtk3 certainly contains a weather plugin.  Uses data from the norwegian weather service, which can be a little hit and miss for me personally though.

Unfortunately I only have intel graphics here, so if this is an nvidia-based problem then I can't really help there.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#3 2019-08-29 06:37:19

andreas_baumann
Administrator
Website

Re: Major slowdown after the last update

I noticed startup slowdowns with xfce4, especially when pressing the 'Applications' button for the first time.
But I'm only able to test Intel and libvirt video at the moment.

This needs further investigastions, I still hope it gets solved with the next packages push to stable automagically. :-)

Board footer