You are not logged in.

#26 2019-09-02 18:22:00

andreas_baumann
Administrator
Website

Re: [pending] Desktop freezing occasionally (pentium4)

Hah. Got the same behaviour on i686 with LXDE: I start using the menu, move the mouse, the menubar crashes and gets restarted in the background..

#27 2019-09-02 18:22:29

andreas_baumann
Administrator
Website

librsvg-2.so.2, of course. rust. :->

#28 2019-09-02 18:22:52

andreas_baumann
Administrator
Website

Why the heck do we even have a SVG image in a menu!

#29 2019-09-02 18:31:27

andreas_baumann
Administrator
Website

But, that's all on i686 only..

#30 2019-09-02 20:37:24

levi

cx wrote:

OK, that’s worth a try. And yet I have my other Linux box, and a switch where both are connected to each other, as I’ve plans to set up a home network anyway. I am nearly unexperienced with that topic though, and I’ll teach myself following Arch’s OpenSSH Wiki and maybe others. – Will I need a domain for this?

No, you're not accessing this remotely, so you can refer to it by local IP and you can't do any kind of lookup for those, so you don't need a domain.

If you're ever planning to open this up to the internet, or can't trust all of the devices on your local network, or are just paranoid, this is pretty much all you need to know about securing ssh ever: https://stribika.github.io/2015/01/04/s … shell.html

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#31 2019-09-02 20:39:09

cx

OK, the pentium4-box is now running for 12+ hrs, I piped a dmesg into a file on a tty, then started X, where I piped at once again into another file.

Currently I’ve got two open terminals on the same workspace, where in one of them I entered a third dmesg-pipe, ready for execution by a hit on <Return> – once I find the desktop frozen again. So I’m waiting for it to happen ...

Nonetheless I’d like to establish an SSH connection to trigger a dmesg on the pentium4 from 'outside' just as @levi proposed. But I need a helping hand, and I opened another thread.

andreas_baumann wrote:

Why the heck do we even have a SVG image in a menu!

Yeah, I exchanged the XFCE menu icon lately, and it’s a .svg from the /usr/share... directory. – So maybe it’s a graphics library or permission problem, or a missing link?

((edited))

Last edited by cx (2019-09-03 13:26:16)

#32 2019-09-03 14:40:54

cx

@levi: Thanks for your input, I missed your nearly simultaneous post, which appeared sometime later.

Current state: No incidents at my yesterday’s session running for about 18 hours until ~1 a.m., it was shut down normally.

Late last evening I received another major update containing 441 packages – great work, thanks!

This morning I started another session in X then, which booted smoothly. While waiting for another freeze, for playing fake busy, I assembled two terminals, firefox, and thunderbird on the very same workspace, and mpd is streaming radio. Processor is at 15 percent, memory is at 43, swap at 1.

Though everything seems fine, I wonder why now I can’t recompile XMonad (which got updated yesterday as well) – it simply can’t find any modules listed in xmonad.hs anymore. On my Arch64, this is no problem.

I compared xmonad and xmonad-contrib on both machines – and look, they appear to be 'same-same but different':

Arch64 version:  0.15-18
Arch32 version:  0.15-18.0

So, can inconsistant version naming be the problem?

Or, I also use stuff from the AUR, which only is installable when the PKGBUILD is (edited to) "arch=(any)"; neither "pentium4" nor "i686" work. – Can this be the cause of the trouble? But then again, there were no desktop freezes until the major update in midst of August.

#33 2019-09-03 14:50:30

levi

At least in the AUR files I've edited that I've looked at, my 'pentium4' is quoted with single quotes, and in brackets/parentheses.  Could that be your problem?

Edit: I really can't see how this could cause the type of freezing you describe, but just thought it's worth fixing while we're at it.  At least we can rule things out that way.

Last edited by levi (2019-09-03 14:51:51)

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#34 2019-09-03 15:17:08

cx

I experienced that it doesn’t matter how you quote (or quote at all) a single item in the arch=(...) line. But whenever I entered "pentium4", I got an error like "is not available for architecture i686".

Actually I can’t imagine myself, an "any"-installed AUR pkg could cause freezing the desktop anyway; then even AUR font packages which usually are "any" by default would be potentially evil as well. – IMHO the only drawback of non-optimized "any"-packages is that they are probably a little bigger in size or a couple of microseconds slower.

But who knows.

levi wrote:

Edit: I really can't see how this could cause the type of freezing you describe, but just thought it's worth fixing while we're at it.  At least we can rule things out that way.

Yes!

(I am off now again but will be back later this evening.)

#35 2019-09-03 15:51:29

andreas_baumann
Administrator
Website

Arch64 version:  0.15-18
Arch32 version:  0.15-18.0

The last 0 is just our build number (Archlinux32 specific). When we have to build the same
version (0.15), same pkgver=18 again due to Arch32 specific reason. They are identical
(but for 32-bit specific patching).

#36 2019-09-03 15:52:49

levi

Hmm, perhaps your Thinkpad isn't compliant with the pentium4 requirements, so the system wants i686 pkgbuilds.  What's the exact error you get when you have arch={'i686') in those files?

There is a way to get pacman to spit out what arch it's detecting, but I can't remember it off the top of my head (and couldn't find it in any man page).  You can at least issue a pacman-conf|grep Architecture, but I strongly suspect it'll give the same arcitecture as in the error you've quoted.

#37 2019-09-03 15:52:57

andreas_baumann
Administrator
Website

We should really write a guide here: if you choose pentium4 packages, you have to set CARCH=pentium4 in /etc/makepkg.conf.
If there is a i686 then pacman will not install the built package because it thinks (rightly) that this is a different architecture.

Also important: CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu" has to _stay the same_!

Also check whether pentium4 is in the march to compile your AUR package:

CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt"

#38 2019-09-03 15:59:47

levi

I assume my makepkg.conf contains a CARCH=pentium4 because the pacman package it came from is built for pentium4.  I remember briefly editing my pacman.conf to use Architecture=pentium4 before the auto-detection came in, then I set it back to Architecture=auto.

But for the user here I think he wants i686 packages.

#39 2019-09-03 16:01:01

andreas_baumann
Administrator
Website

https://www.archlinux32.org/architecture/ tells you which architecture to pick based on the CPU flags reported by the kernel.

#40 2019-09-03 21:21:36

cx

levi wrote:

Hmm, perhaps your Thinkpad isn't compliant with the pentium4 requirements, so the system wants i686 pkgbuilds.  What's the exact error you get when you have arch={'i686') in those files?

No, my flags are correct.

andreas_baumann wrote:

We should really write a guide here: if you choose pentium4 packages, you have to set CARCH=pentium4 in /etc/makepkg.conf.
If there is a i686 then pacman will not install the built package because it thinks (rightly) that this is a different architecture.

Also important: CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu" has to _stay the same_!

Also check whether pentium4 is in the march to compile your AUR package:

CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt"

Bingo – I think that’s a pretty good idea! Maybe add it right to https://www.archlinux32.org/architecture/.

-- I wasn’t aware of /etc/makepkg.conf with all that flags stuff, with which I haven’t seriously dealt since I had quit Gentoo for Arch Linux some 13 years before, you know. – So I only edited /etc/pacman.conf but left /etc/makepkg.conf untouched. After having edited the latter, I can now build wonderfully optimized "pentium4" packages from the AUR as well! smile

So in this regard great news, folks!
Well, I just haven’t decided whether to rebuild all of the 100 'any'-packages ...  o_O

Besides, as I said I doubt that could be the cause of the desktop freezings.
I’m still running the pentium4 since this morning and haven’t encountered another one yet – probably because I just was lucky.
Maybe the big update yesterday helped it, but how would I now?

I’m going to monitor this issue again tomorrow. If nothing happens we can leave this thread open but unsolved and hope the problem has vanished.

#41 2019-09-03 23:16:46

levi

Weird that you needed to edit the makepkg.conf.  As I said, mine got updated because I upgraded to a pentium4 version of pacman.  Perhaps you didn't follow all of the steps in the news post?

I'd say given you say this used to happen 'often' on powering the machine up, I'd say give it a week.  If it stays up for that long, I'd say it's pretty clear the initial problem is resolved, whatever it was.

#42 2019-09-04 09:24:16

cx

Sure I read it, and just thought everything’s fine then.

But that’s meant for official packages (if I don’t miss something). And I never cared about /etc/makepkg.conf, the announcement doesn’t mention it either.

And since installing AUR stuff is kind of 'private matter' and I found out manually editing "Architecture = pentium4" instead of "auto" and "arch=(any)" in them PKGBUILDs works, I also thought that’s just the way to go.

#43 2019-09-04 14:27:03

cx

In addition to plans for a concise installation & configuration guide, in reference to this post I propose you to point out using /proc/cpuinfo quite early at the installation process, to hand the right flag(s) to pacstrap.

Sounds self-evident, but isn’t! – I wasn’t aware of the flags being mandatory, when I installed Arch 32 at the end of July. I just felt happy to find your i686-Live CD for being able to revive old hardware with my beloved Arch Linux. And I thought "i686" means to be catch-all architecture for 32Bit similar to like it was for the official Arch Linux distro when they served both 32 and 64 Bit.

According to my handwritten record, during AL32 installation I simply ran pacstrap without "--arch=pentium4", which by itself was no problem, as the system seemed to boot and work normally; and probably that’s why the flags in my /etc/makepkg.conf were still on "i686". I turned to "pentium4" later, and had to learn it is something different than (and an improvement to) the default "i686", and both are incompatible to each other (when it comes to packages). – Things I didn’t expect when using the AL i686-Live CD, and if I’m not mistaken, there was no README on the CD or the website.

So yes, IMO an official howto on this topic would be quite helpful for future users.
Regards, and keep on your great job!

#44 2019-09-04 15:56:23

levi

I think any howto really just needs to say, "ensure your arch={}' line includes the architecture reported by 'pacman-conf Architecture' (or run makepkg with the -ingorearch flag) if/when you want to build any packages from the AUR".

I'd hope a more modern install iso would autodetect the best platform automatically, but a July iso might be too close to the switch over to pick up that change.  I'm not sure what if anything has to be done on top of having a new enough version of pacman in the iso.

I think if you'd done this, it should have all resolved in the wash and everything including the pacman package should end up in a pentium4 build:

This requires reinstallation (and if necessary a downgrade) of all installed packages, e.g. by running

pacman -Syy
pacman -Qqn | pacman -S -

If you've never done that it might still be worth doing now in case you have installed any packages that haven't been updated since may/july time.

#45 2019-09-04 18:30:12

cx

levi wrote:

... 'pacman-conf Architecture' ...

Yes of course, forgot to mention that, my bad.

levi wrote:
pacman -Syy

Already did that long time ago. I’m pretty sure, that every official package on my Arch32 box is "pentium4" – except those AUR ones which are still "any". And (in contrary of my Arch64 machine) I always do a pacman -Syyu when updating, which happens almost daily.

However for a 1,000% verification, is there a command or script that dumps the architecture of all installed packages? (Something like pacman -Qi xxx | grep architecture >> ~/listallmypkgarchs .)

Last edited by cx (2019-09-04 19:21:35)

#46 2019-09-04 21:10:21

levi

pacman -Qi|grep ^Architecture|grep -v pentium4|grep -v any

I myself have a few i686 packages still installed like gksu, which for some reason never seems to have been built for pentium4.

#47 2019-09-04 21:24:06

cx

So I’m glad my guess wasn’t that bad!  ^^

levi wrote:

pacman -Qi|grep ^Architecture|grep -v pentium4|grep -v any

Isn’t something missing? I just get 60 lines

Architecture                   : i686

without the package names.

#48 2019-09-04 23:52:48

levi

Well yes, that's because I grepped to ^Architecture which strips out everything but the Architecure lines, to make it easier to see when it's different.  Then the other greps eliminate pentium4 and any architectures.  To see everything just pipe pacman into less and from there you can search using / for i686:
pacman -Qi|less

#49 2019-09-05 05:44:53

deep42thought
Administrator

cx wrote:
levi wrote:
pacman -Syy

Already did that long time ago. I’m pretty sure, that every official package on my Arch32 box is "pentium4" – except those AUR ones which are still "any". And (in contrary of my Arch64 machine) I always do a pacman -Syyu when updating, which happens almost daily.

Another possibility would be, that you previously modified /etc/makepkg.conf and thus pacman installed the new version as /etc/makepkg.pacnew which you forgot to merge. Have a look at pacdiff for that.

regards,
deep42thought

#50 2019-09-06 21:30:11

cx

@levi: Well, I would rather like to have something like a loop, like for "for every $i in $allmypackges, print the lines with name and architecture, and append this to a file." – But I’m not very skilled in shell scripting~

@deep42thought: pacdiff found pacnew files for /etc/default/grub, /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf, and /etc/makepkg.conf, which I skipped for now. – Shall I overwrite them?

So I logged in via ssh after another freeze two days ago – and I’ve right encountered another one 'by chance' now! Say, again, I can’t input anything, but the status is still working, displaying CPU, memory, and clock for example. Also, I can use some <Fn> button combinations like for screen brightness, an extra lamp, and the buttons for loudness, muteness, and power on/off (BIOS controlled).

Output from dmesg:

[   24.308881] random: crng init done
[   24.308893] random: 4 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting
[   26.148721] tg3 0000:02:00.0 enp2s0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex
[   26.148726] tg3 0000:02:00.0 enp2s0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX
[   26.148748] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): enp2s0: link becomes ready
[   59.037738] fuse: init (API version 7.31)
[  171.767639] perf: interrupt took too long (2510 > 2500), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 79500
[  248.970680] perf: interrupt took too long (3146 > 3137), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 63300
[  464.711661] perf: interrupt took too long (3945 > 3932), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 50400

The "perf: interrupt took too long" lines appear even when there’s no freezing; usually always at the very end, probably because the box simple was idle while waiting for a freeze. I looked for that in the net, and they seem harmless.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log:

[  7174.372] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
[  7174.372] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
[  7174.373] (II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled.
[  7174.373] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
[  7174.373] (II) RADEON(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
	"Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
[  7174.373] (==) RADEON(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
[  7174.373] (II) RADEON(0): Pixel depth = 24 bits stored in 4 bytes (32 bpp pixmaps)
[  7174.373] (==) RADEON(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[  7174.373] (==) RADEON(0): RGB weight 888
[  7174.373] (II) RADEON(0): Using 8 bits per RGB (8 bit DAC)
[  7174.373] (--) RADEON(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M" (ChipID = 0x5a62)
[  7174.373] (II) Loading sub module "fb"
[  7174.373] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
[  7174.374] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
[  7174.374] (II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[  7174.374] 	compiled for 1.20.5, module version = 1.0.0
[  7174.374] 	ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[  7174.374] (II) Loading sub module "dri2"
[  7174.374] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
[  7174.374] (II) Module "dri2" already built-in
[  7174.374] (II) Loading sub module "exa"
[  7174.374] (II) LoadModule: "exa"
[  7174.375] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libexa.so
[  7174.375] (II) Module exa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[  7174.375] 	compiled for 1.20.5, module version = 2.6.0
[  7174.375] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 24.0
[  7174.375] (II) RADEON(0): KMS Color Tiling: enabled
[  7174.375] (II) RADEON(0): KMS Color Tiling 2D: disabled
[  7174.375] (==) RADEON(0): TearFree property default: auto
[  7174.375] (II) RADEON(0): KMS Pageflipping: enabled
[  7174.375] (II) RADEON(0): SwapBuffers wait for vsync: enabled
[  7174.386] (II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 has no monitor section
[  7174.387] (II) RADEON(0): Output LVDS has no monitor section
[  7174.398] (II) RADEON(0): EDID for output VGA-0
[  7174.398] (II) RADEON(0): EDID for output LVDS
[  7174.398] (II) RADEON(0): Printing probed modes for output LVDS
[  7174.398] (II) RADEON(0): Modeline "1024x768"x60.0   65.00  1024 1048 1184 1344  768 770 776 806 (48.4 kHz eP)
[  7174.398] (II) RADEON(0): Modeline "800x600"x60.0   38.31  800 832 912 1024  600 603 607 624 -hsync +vsync (37.4 kHz)
[  7174.398] (II) RADEON(0): Modeline "848x480"x59.9   31.65  848 872 952 1056  480 483 493 500 -hsync +vsync (30.0 kHz)
[  7174.398] (II) RADEON(0): Modeline "720x480"x59.9   26.85  720 744 808 896  480 483 493 500 -hsync +vsync (30.0 kHz)
[  7174.398] (II) RADEON(0): Modeline "640x480"x59.9   23.98  640 664 720 800  480 483 487 500 -hsync +vsync (30.0 kHz)
[  7174.398] (II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 disconnected
[  7174.398] (II) RADEON(0): Output LVDS connected
[  7174.398] (II) RADEON(0): Using exact sizes for initial modes
[  7174.399] (II) RADEON(0): Output LVDS using initial mode 1024x768 +0+0
[  7174.399] (II) RADEON(0): mem size init: gart size :1fdff000 vram size: s:8000000 visible:fcc0000
[  7174.399] (II) RADEON(0): EXA: Driver will allow EXA pixmaps in VRAM
[  7174.399] (==) RADEON(0): DPI set to (96, 96)
[  7174.399] (==) RADEON(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
[  7174.399] (II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
[  7174.399] (II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
[  7174.399] (II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
[  7174.399] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
[  7174.399] (II) Unloading modesetting
[  7174.399] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
[  7174.399] (II) Unloading vesa
[  7174.399] (II) RADEON(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
[  7174.399] (II) RADEON(0): [DRI2]   DRI driver: r300
[  7174.399] (II) RADEON(0): [DRI2]   VDPAU driver: r300
[  7174.400] (II) RADEON(0): Front buffer size: 3072K
[  7174.400] (II) RADEON(0): VRAM usage limit set to 230140K
[  7174.400] (==) RADEON(0): DRI3 disabled
[  7174.400] (==) RADEON(0): Backing store enabled
[  7174.400] (II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled
[  7174.400] (II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration enabled for R300/R400/R500 type cards.
[  7174.400] (II) EXA(0): Driver allocated offscreen pixmaps
[  7174.400] (II) EXA(0): Driver registered support for the following operations:
[  7174.400] (II)         Solid
[  7174.400] (II)         Copy
[  7174.400] (II)         Composite (RENDER acceleration)
[  7174.400] (II)         UploadToScreen
[  7174.400] (II)         DownloadFromScreen
[  7174.400] (II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled
[  7174.400] (==) RADEON(0): DPMS enabled
[  7174.400] (==) RADEON(0): Silken mouse disabled
[  7174.400] (II) RADEON(0): Set up textured video
[  7174.401] (II) RADEON(0): [XvMC] Associated with Radeon Textured Video.
[  7174.401] (II) RADEON(0): [XvMC] Extension initialized.
[  7174.401] (II) Initializing extension Generic Event Extension
[  7174.402] (II) Initializing extension SHAPE
[  7174.402] (II) Initializing extension MIT-SHM
[  7174.403] (II) Initializing extension XInputExtension
[  7174.403] (II) Initializing extension XTEST
[  7174.404] (II) Initializing extension BIG-REQUESTS
[  7174.404] (II) Initializing extension SYNC
[  7174.405] (II) Initializing extension XKEYBOARD
[  7174.406] (II) Initializing extension XC-MISC
[  7174.406] (II) Initializing extension SECURITY
[  7174.407] (II) Initializing extension XFIXES
[  7174.407] (II) Initializing extension RENDER
[  7174.408] (II) Initializing extension RANDR
[  7174.409] (II) Initializing extension COMPOSITE
[  7174.409] (II) Initializing extension DAMAGE
[  7174.410] (II) Initializing extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
[  7174.410] (II) Initializing extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
[  7174.411] (II) Initializing extension RECORD
[  7174.411] (II) Initializing extension DPMS
[  7174.412] (II) Initializing extension Present
[  7174.412] (II) Initializing extension DRI3
[  7174.413] (II) Initializing extension X-Resource
[  7174.413] (II) Initializing extension XVideo
[  7174.414] (II) Initializing extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
[  7174.414] (II) Initializing extension GLX
[  7174.577] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized r300
[  7174.577] (II) GLX: Initialized DRI2 GL provider for screen 0
[  7174.577] (II) Initializing extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
[  7174.577] (II) Initializing extension XFree86-DGA
[  7174.578] (II) Initializing extension XFree86-DRI
[  7174.578] (II) Initializing extension DRI2
[  7174.579] (II) RADEON(0): Setting screen physical size to 270 x 203
[  7174.917] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event2)
[  7174.917] (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[  7174.917] (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "system-keyboard"
[  7174.917] (II) LoadModule: "libinput"
[  7174.918] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/libinput_drv.so
[  7174.922] (II) Module libinput: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[  7174.922] 	compiled for 1.20.4, module version = 0.28.2
[  7174.922] 	Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
[  7174.922] 	ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 24.1
[  7174.922] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Power Button'
[  7174.922] (**) Power Button: always reports core events
[  7174.922] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
[  7174.922] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[  7174.926] (II) event2  - Power Button: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[  7174.927] (II) event2  - Power Button: device is a keyboard
[  7174.927] (II) event2  - Power Button: device removed
[  7174.932] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input2/event2"
[  7174.932] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD, id 6)
[  7174.932] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
[  7174.932] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "de"
[  7174.982] (II) event2  - Power Button: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[  7174.982] (II) event2  - Power Button: device is a keyboard
[  7174.984] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Video Bus (/dev/input/event3)
[  7174.984] (**) Video Bus: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[  7174.984] (**) Video Bus: Applying InputClass "system-keyboard"
[  7174.984] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Video Bus'
[  7174.984] (**) Video Bus: always reports core events
[  7174.984] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
[  7174.984] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[  7174.987] (II) event3  - Video Bus: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[  7174.987] (II) event3  - Video Bus: device is a keyboard
[  7174.987] (II) event3  - Video Bus: device removed
[  7175.002] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0A08:00/device:11/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input3/event3"
[  7175.002] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Video Bus" (type: KEYBOARD, id 7)
[  7175.002] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
[  7175.002] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "de"
[  7175.006] (II) event3  - Video Bus: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[  7175.006] (II) event3  - Video Bus: device is a keyboard
[  7175.007] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Lid Switch (/dev/input/event0)
[  7175.007] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[  7175.007] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[  7175.008] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Sleep Button (/dev/input/event1)
[  7175.008] (**) Sleep Button: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[  7175.008] (**) Sleep Button: Applying InputClass "system-keyboard"
[  7175.008] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Sleep Button'
[  7175.008] (**) Sleep Button: always reports core events
[  7175.008] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
[  7175.008] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[  7175.010] (II) event1  - Sleep Button: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[  7175.010] (II) event1  - Sleep Button: device is a keyboard
[  7175.011] (II) event1  - Sleep Button: device removed
[  7175.016] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0C0E:00/input/input1/event1"
[  7175.016] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Sleep Button" (type: KEYBOARD, id 8)
[  7175.016] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
[  7175.016] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "de"
[  7175.018] (II) event1  - Sleep Button: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[  7175.019] (II) event1  - Sleep Button: device is a keyboard
[  7175.021] (II) config/udev: Adding input device SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse (/dev/input/event5)
[  7175.021] (**) SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse: Applying InputClass "libinput pointer catchall"
[  7175.021] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse'
[  7175.021] (**) SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse: always reports core events
[  7175.021] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event5"
[  7175.021] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[  7175.025] (II) event5  - SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse: is tagged by udev as: Mouse
[  7175.025] (II) event5  - SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse: device is a pointer
[  7175.025] (II) event5  - SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse: device removed
[  7175.036] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.1/usb3/3-2/3-2:1.0/0003:1C4F:0034.0001/input/input6/event5"
[  7175.036] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse" (type: MOUSE, id 9)
[  7175.036] (**) Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
[  7175.036] (**) SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse: (accel) selected scheme none/0
[  7175.036] (**) SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
[  7175.036] (**) SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
[  7175.040] (II) event5  - SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse: is tagged by udev as: Mouse
[  7175.040] (II) event5  - SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse: device is a pointer
[  7175.042] (II) config/udev: Adding input device SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0)
[  7175.042] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[  7175.042] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[  7175.043] (II) config/udev: Adding input device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard (/dev/input/event4)
[  7175.043] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[  7175.043] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Applying InputClass "system-keyboard"
[  7175.043] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
[  7175.043] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: always reports core events
[  7175.043] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
[  7175.043] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[  7175.046] (II) event4  - AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[  7175.046] (II) event4  - AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: device is a keyboard
[  7175.047] (II) event4  - AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: device removed
[  7175.052] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input4/event4"
[  7175.052] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD, id 10)
[  7175.052] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
[  7175.052] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "de"
[  7175.056] (II) event4  - AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[  7175.056] (II) event4  - AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: device is a keyboard
[  7175.058] (II) config/udev: Adding input device TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint (/dev/input/event8)
[  7175.058] (**) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: Applying InputClass "libinput pointer catchall"
[  7175.058] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint'
[  7175.058] (**) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: always reports core events
[  7175.058] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event8"
[  7175.058] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[  7175.061] (II) event8  - TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: is tagged by udev as: Mouse Pointingstick
[  7175.062] (II) event8  - TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: device is a pointer
[  7175.063] (II) event8  - TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: device removed
[  7175.079] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input9/event8"
[  7175.079] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint" (type: MOUSE, id 11)
[  7175.079] (**) Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
[  7175.079] (**) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: (accel) selected scheme none/0
[  7175.079] (**) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
[  7175.079] (**) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
[  7175.082] (II) event8  - TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: is tagged by udev as: Mouse Pointingstick
[  7175.083] (II) event8  - TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: device is a pointer
[  7175.085] (II) config/udev: Adding input device TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint (/dev/input/mouse1)
[  7175.085] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[  7175.085] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[  7175.086] (II) config/udev: Adding input device PC Speaker (/dev/input/event6)
[  7175.086] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[  7175.086] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[  7175.088] (II) config/udev: Adding input device ThinkPad Extra Buttons (/dev/input/event7)
[  7175.088] (**) ThinkPad Extra Buttons: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[  7175.088] (**) ThinkPad Extra Buttons: Applying InputClass "system-keyboard"
[  7175.088] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'ThinkPad Extra Buttons'
[  7175.088] (**) ThinkPad Extra Buttons: always reports core events
[  7175.088] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event7"
[  7175.088] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[  7175.091] (II) event7  - ThinkPad Extra Buttons: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[  7175.091] (II) event7  - ThinkPad Extra Buttons: device is a keyboard
[  7175.091] (II) event7  - ThinkPad Extra Buttons: device removed
[  7175.096] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/input/input7/event7"
[  7175.096] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "ThinkPad Extra Buttons" (type: KEYBOARD, id 12)
[  7175.096] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
[  7175.096] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "de"
[  7175.098] (II) event7  - ThinkPad Extra Buttons: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[  7175.099] (II) event7  - ThinkPad Extra Buttons: device is a keyboard
[  7186.598] (II) event2  - Power Button: device removed
[  7186.606] (II) event3  - Video Bus: device removed
[  7186.626] (II) event1  - Sleep Button: device removed
[  7186.636] (II) event5  - SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse: device removed
[  7186.653] (II) event4  - AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: device removed
[  7186.663] (II) event8  - TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: device removed
[  7186.683] (II) event7  - ThinkPad Extra Buttons: device removed
[  7186.692] (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
[  8719.386] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[  8719.387] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[  8719.388] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[  8719.439] (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

There are no errors or warnings – but for some reason the "libinput" module(s) unloads. Further, the (X ?) "server terminated successfully" – but by whom or what?! Both libinput and xf86-input-libinput are installed btw (c.f. Arch Wiki).

And I wonder about the "ThinkPad Extra Buttons" which get removed. Well, I installed AUR’s tbp (on Aug 13) that I left at its default values. In the next session I could uninstall the package and see if there will be some more freezes – what do you think?

Last edited by cx (2019-09-06 21:31:37)

Board footer