You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-28 13:57:19

phunsoft

No Man pages after install?

I installed ArchLinux32 on my elder Thinkpad T43p using the live medium (CD-ROM). I‘m astonished that Man pages are missing. Is this expected behaviour on the 32bit distro? On my Thinkpad X1, I installed ArchLinux and Man pages were there after the installation.

I manually installed the Man pages and related packages, no problem. However, I just wonder if something went wrong with my install and these should have been installed automatically.

There is no installation Wiki specifically for the 32bit distro, is there?

edit: The network manager is there, not sure how I have overlooked that. So question remains for DHCP client and Man pages.
edit2: I learnt that systemd.networkd has got an DHCP client built in, so that leaves the question on Man pages missing. I changed the subject accordingly.

Last edited by phunsoft (2020-11-28 15:40:16)

#2 2020-11-28 17:08:12

levi

Re: No Man pages after install?

The install process should be almost entirely the same as the one for 64-bit archlinux.  And small differences were having can be patched after install.

I don't recognise systemd.networkd as a package name.  What is it?  FWIW when I built this machine a couple of years back, I selected dhcpd to handle my dhcp initialisation, but that seems to be broken just now, at least if you want an ipv4 address out of it.  I switched to dhclient and that's working for me now.

The man pages should come as part of the packages you install.  They should be collected in man* folders in /usr/share/man; what do you have there?  At the very least I'd expect something basic like 'man ls' to work.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#3 2020-11-28 19:01:12

phunsoft

levi wrote:

I don't recognise systemd.networkd as a package name.  What is it?

Its the service that needs to be enabled/started along with systemd.resolved to enable networking. Its described in the ArchWiki network topic. I guess they're not separate packages but part of the kernel (?)

levi wrote:

The man pages should come as part of the packages you install.  They should be collected in man* folders in /usr/share/man; what do you have there?  At the very least I'd expect something basic like 'man ls' to work.

I have installed packages man and man-pages in the meantime, so I can no longer say what was in those directories. However, typing man at the console returned bash: man not found and pacman -Q did not list any of the man packages.

#4 2020-11-28 19:46:35

levi

According to my system, man is owned by a package named man-db.  The manual for 'ls' comes from man-pages apparently.  I guess that package contains the manuals for the core utils.  Many other packages I have installed supply their own manual files, for example I just looked at feh which includes in it's -Ql output:

feh /usr/share/man/
feh /usr/share/man/man1/
feh /usr/share/man/man1/feh.1.gz

But if you've got a more or less fresh install, you may not have many supplemental packages installed.

Reportedly, man-db conflcts with a package named man, and I can't find a package named man in the repos I use.  But if I try to reinstall man, pacman selects man-db to provide it, so perhaps that's the actual package you installed.  I'm not sure why bash says you haven't got the util, man installed though.  Whats does '$ echo $PATH' say?

Ah the unit systemd name is systemd-networkd, and it comes from the systemd package which also provides networkctl.  I guess this is a relatively recently development, because when I set this system up I chose to use netctl (that's what the live DVD uses, so I was more familiar with that at the time).  But if that's all working for you then I guess that's all fixed these days just using what systemd provides.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

Board footer