You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-09 15:17:35

mocambo

[SOLVED] 32-bit Firefox perfomance & adding Palemoon to Community repo

Hello !

Can anyone share their current Firefox performance experience on 32-bit machines ? For me using Firefox on 32-bit machines is a little bit painful. The browser startup times, page load times and what-ever-i-do-there times doesnt let me browse easely and freely. Maybe there exist some special optimization hacks, I dont know yet. Therefore I presume, that most of the community here use different ways and browsers to surf on the internet on 32-bit machines.

Alternatively i found that Palemoon performs relatively well compared to Firefox. And Palemoon has almost same whistles and bells as in Firefox. It core architecture designed times ago, when 32-bit machines ruled. Maybe its worth considering adding Palemoon GTK2 and GTK3 flavors to the pentium4 Community repo as a special 32-bit patch ? The both Firefox and Palemoon are SSE2 enabled default as a minimum requirement. And yes I know that Palemoon developers doesnt favor 32-bit release.

Any thoughts ?

---
Solution: Thanks for hinting. Firefox poor performance fixed just by removing AccelMethod UXA in intel.conf in XOrg Intel Graphics driver configuration. Firefox indeed performs well now and alternative is not needed.

Last edited by mocambo (2022-04-07 14:15:56)

#2 2021-04-09 15:22:39

abaumann
Administrator
Website

Re: [SOLVED] 32-bit Firefox perfomance & adding Palemoon to Community repo

My experience is that any CPU (with or without SSE2) works just fine, as long as you have enough memory
(>1GB).

#3 2021-04-09 16:15:50

levi

Re: [SOLVED] 32-bit Firefox perfomance & adding Palemoon to Community repo

Yes, I'm currently running firefox and some text mode apps that aren't using much ram, plus a graphical email client ditto, and I'm using 769MiB of RAM for that with another 749MiB of cached RAM out of a total of 2GB on this machine (the maximum the motherboard is reported to take).  I do use ublock on it to limit my exposure to tracking cookies and images and to limit the amount of javascript I need to run, the latter of which probably helps keep things a little more performant.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

Board footer