You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-09 15:17:35

mocambo

32-bit Firefox perfomance & adding Palemoon to pentium4 Community repo

Hello !

Can anyone share their current Firefox performance experience on 32-bit machines ? For me using Firefox on 32-bit machines is a little bit painful. The browser startup times, page load times and what-ever-i-do-there times doesnt let me browse easely and freely. Maybe there exist some special optimization hacks, I dont know yet. Therefore I presume, that most of the community here use different ways and browsers to surf on the internet on 32-bit machines.

Alternatively i found that Palemoon performs relatively well compared to Firefox. And Palemoon has almost same whistles and bells as in Firefox. It core architecture designed times ago, when 32-bit machines ruled. Maybe its worth considering adding Palemoon GTK2 and GTK3 flavors to the pentium4 Community repo as a special 32-bit patch ? The both Firefox and Palemoon are SSE2 enabled default as a minimum requirement. And yes I know that Palemoon developers doesnt favor 32-bit release.

Any thoughts ?

#2 2021-04-09 15:22:39

abaumann
Administrator
Website

Re: 32-bit Firefox perfomance & adding Palemoon to pentium4 Community repo

My experience is that any CPU (with or without SSE2) works just fine, as long as you have enough memory
(>1GB).

#3 2021-04-09 16:15:50

levi

Re: 32-bit Firefox perfomance & adding Palemoon to pentium4 Community repo

Yes, I'm currently running firefox and some text mode apps that aren't using much ram, plus a graphical email client ditto, and I'm using 769MiB of RAM for that with another 749MiB of cached RAM out of a total of 2GB on this machine (the maximum the motherboard is reported to take).  I do use ublock on it to limit my exposure to tracking cookies and images and to limit the amount of javascript I need to run, the latter of which probably helps keep things a little more performant.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

Board footer