You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-10 18:10:59

Michael2

installation on AMD Duron 1.6ghz processor with 2 gigs ram (maxxed)

I have been running various flavors of linux for years, and recently got bit by the Manjaro bug :-) my newer machines all run manjaro xfce, I like the cleanliness of how things are

so I decided I wanted to put arch on my duron board (32-bit) and this is where things are at now
at first boot of, system would hang on Trigging uevents - fixed that by pressing tab and adding nomodeset to the commandline

Specs:
Award Bios 2003
1.6 AMD Duron processor
32-bit arch
Ram 2gig (maxxed)
1 80 gb ide hard drivevideo
video card Nvidia GeForce FX 5500

NO UEFI BIOS
=============

I have tried many, many installs trying to get Archlinux32 installed on this board as of right now, still have not been able to
so I would like to give you a break down of what I found and what would HELP make things easier
I found a walk over at https://itsfoss.com/install-arch-linux/

the walk through I found needs some serious work - if install is going to REQUIRE certain things to be setup,a certain way, that needs to be spelled out in the instructions.

I kept installing reboot, and could not get grub work - I discovered that archlinux32 does not support booting via btrfs (should flagged during install)

I tried the archinstall program - but unfortunately, someone forgot that, true 32bit systems were made WELL before there was UEFI-BIOS, - need some sort of code or check to be sure that the right GRUB gets installed - especially when user has no control over it

I finally got archlinux32 to survive reboot, see a message states loading ramdisk, and system hangs

can archlinux32 install and run in 2 gigs ram?

Michael

#2 2021-04-10 19:03:27

levi

Re: installation on AMD Duron 1.6ghz processor with 2 gigs ram (maxxed)

Yes, arch32 will run very happily with a system configuration of 2GB of RAM.

I've always used the official install instructions.  It does need you to dive down some links to read stuff then go back up to go to the next step, while your link guides you through the most common configuration in a single page, and to me it looks reasonable, but I can't guarantee it's complete.  Back when I set up this machine I also couldn't get grub to work, so I used syslinux which I understand to be the bootloader the install ISO uses so that was guaranteed to work.

And of course for both of these guides you should download arch32 isos from www.archlinux32.org/download, not from the upstream project which no longer supports our computers.  I have no experience of the newer install program so I can't advise on that.  If it does require a uefi bios that that seems like it work work at all for our needs, but there you go.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

Board footer