You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-01 13:56:34

AhmadRaniri

Installing with old iso file.

I got limited bandwith and I want to reinstall my notebook, I just have an ISO from the November 2020, It's archlinux-2020.11.01-i686.iso. Is it safe to install it to my notebook? I hope there is a bootstrap stuff (probably smaller than the ISO). Thanks.

#2 2021-09-01 14:36:07

levi

Re: Installing with old iso file.

Apparently we switched to using xstd for package compression rater than xz around chrimbo 2019.  Therefore your nov 2020 image shouldn't get hit by that, which can be a little pain to resolve.

There is no separate bootstrap release that I know of.  The difficult with making that kind of release is where do you want to base the bootstrap from?  There are many snapshots you could take each month.  Maybe base if off the released isos but they're still one a month.  And if you say just bundle up all of the pacakges that make up the OS minimal release that's basically the same thing as the iso, just compressed differently and without the boot medium.  But the boot medium is tiny in comparison to all of the base packages, and the compression doesn't save you much.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#3 2021-09-02 05:24:04

deep42thought
Administrator

well, one could leave out several device drivers from the bootstrap iso - this one also bootstraps with all kind of wifis, for example.

Hoever, I would say: bite the bullet and download the iso overnight (if the one, that you do have right now does not work for you) and if you really need a minimal install, because your downlink is even slower than mine, then you can do a manual pacstrap directly onto the machine from a different linux which has pacman (arch would be the obvious and easiest choice, here). This way, you only download the packages, that are really being installed.

#4 2021-09-02 14:46:19

levi

Presumably the machine your pacstrapping from needs to run arch32 using the right architecture (i486, i686 or pentum4) for this plan to work. Although if i686 works for you you could always force it to that.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#5 2021-09-02 16:21:00

deep42thought
Administrator

levi wrote:

Presumably the machine your pacstrapping from needs to run arch32 using the right architecture (i486, i686 or pentum4) for this plan to work. Although if i686 works for you you could always force it to that.

Not necessarily (though it will make things easier): you can configure any mirror you like and install for any architecture you like. Though, I admit, it's probably a lot harder if you start from something like arm ;-)

Post install hooks will not be executed properly (if you're not on x86/x86_64), but this is also not critical and can be repeated once booted.

#6 2021-09-02 22:14:28

levi

Hmm, if I'm reading the install instructions correctly, pacstrapping your system happens before you even configure your network.  I'm not sure where pacstrap gets it's packages from, but I guess I could install it (it's in arch-install-scripts) and grok it to find out if I really cared.

Board footer