You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-23 08:32:54

HeroRareheart

Instlation failing at step 2.2

I'm attempting an instlation of Arch 32 on a Dell Inspiron 700m using the latist i686 iso image on a CD and I've become stuck on step 2.2. When I attempt to run the command;

pacstrap -K /mnt base linux linux-firmware

I get the same two errors for every host;

error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from [mirrior URL here] : Could not resolve host: [mirrior name here]
warning: too many errors from [mirior name here], skipping for the remainder of this transaction

After this is spat out for every mirrior I then get;

error: failed to synchronize all databases (invalid url for server)
==> ERROR: Failed to install packages to new root

When looking up people having similar problems with Arch it always seems to be related to them not being connected to the internet properly but I am connected directly to my router via an ethernet cable and I can ping other devices on my network successfully, such asy main router, and websites outside of my network successfully, such as google.com. at this point I'm stuck because as comprehensive and in-depth as the Arch wiki can be sometimes it just doesn't point me in the right direction. I'm thinking this is most likely some form of beginners user error.

Edit: the mirror list is properly populated with each mirror I have just added [mirrior name here] so I didn't have to type out the error more then once for each mirrior.

Last edited by HeroRareheart (2023-01-23 18:16:15)

#2 2023-01-23 10:55:31

levi

Re: Instlation failing at step 2.2

Have a look in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist after first booting from the ISO.  Does it just contain the text '[mirror name here]'. If so that looks to me like a placeholder designed to be replaced by a real mirror name prior to mastering the ISO, because I don't remember having to set up my mirrorlist prior to pacstrapping base when I last installed.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#3 2023-01-23 11:43:23

abaumann
Administrator
Website

oups. I'll check, but this should not be on the ISO but rather a full list of all mirrors..

#4 2023-01-23 18:10:27

HeroRareheart

levi wrote:

Have a look in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist after first booting from the ISO.  Does it just contain the text '[mirror name here]'. If

No I did that. Rather than typing out all of the errors for the mirrors seperatly I did that so I could type it out once. I should have clarfied that in my orignal post, my apologizes. Each mirror gives me that error but with the name of the mirror where I added "[mirror name here]"

Last edited by HeroRareheart (2023-01-23 18:13:28)

#5 2023-01-24 03:52:32

levi

That's odd that you can ping google.com but not download from any mirrors.  I'm not sure what could cause that. I guess you should ping the mirror sites directly, and you could even curl them (which'll just print out the homepage if it can connect).

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

Board footer