You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-20 20:14:31

anselm

Is it possible to serve a webpage from home computer?

Without paying for a web server shared hosting plan.

I installed Apache, started the daemon. I can reach it, the web server page with address "localhost" from the browser. However when I start another browser with "Proxy Chains 4" through a socks5 proxy which I am running on my VPS, I type my home IP address into the address bar in vain. No connection.

Of course I know I can serve a web page from my VPS, but I am curious if it is possible to serve a (static) webpage from home computer.

#2 2018-05-21 05:40:49

deep42thought
Administrator

Re: Is it possible to serve a webpage from home computer?

You need to forward some ports (80 and 443) in your router. You may need to ask your isp (I needed to do so) to actually do what most isp's have in their toses: forward external traffic to your router. And you may want to set up dynamic dns, so your website will be reachable by a dns name instead of your ip address only.
If you want to avoid all of the above, you may instead set up a tor hidden service - which would then, of course only be reachable via tor.
Additionally, you should keep in mind, that your upload bandwidth may be a lot smaller than what some people expect from a webserver.

#3 2018-05-28 06:20:12

anselm

Do I understand well: if I would use Tor, then I don't need to forward the port (or be forwarded by my ISP) on the router? I think I can't do that port-forwarding on the router, because I have no access to the admin page of my router as ISP installed a password by default.

If Tor can provide access to a webpage without that port-forwarding, why doesn't exist some similar software, which can serve a webpage from home computer, what can be accessed by any browser, and not only by a Tor-compliant browser? For example there was an Opera plugin called Opera Unite which did the same thing, as far as I know.

Upload speed is low, 100 KB / sec, but that may be sufficient, because only textual (HTML) data would be served (with gzip compression if possible) and visitor count is low, 10-20 visitors per day, webpage is static, and will be cached in visitor browser. However I would like to provide access to CGI programs too, so I need Apache or something similar.

#4 2018-05-28 07:40:27

deep42thought
Administrator

Yes, you understand correctly.
The reason, why there is no "similar software, ..., what can be accessed by any browser" is, that tor and the normal http(s) web are quite different - especially regarding the lower network layers.
But I would really recommend you to have a look into your ISP's TOSes, because most ISPs allow port forwardings to local machines for private purposes - and then, they should either enable this in your router or hand out the password to you, so you can enable it.

Board footer