You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-20 01:24:32

levi

openssl is more crotical than I thpught

On Friday night I got notified of  a new openssl package being released.  I've not been able to update this system since christmas because of a lack of space in my /usr partition. I do generally keep up to date with kernel packages, but since I use ssl and scp (via rsync) quite regularly, I decided to take the openssl package as well.  So on Friday I updated openssl, and the first problem I had was that pacman apparently depends on libcrypto which is provided by openssl, and secondly poweroff finished with a kernel panic, but it had already reached full shutdown, so I wasn't too concerned not to just cut power.

Trouble was, when I powered up again on Saturday the bootup process was interrupted by a kernel panic perhaps when systemd was starting.  So i powered back down and booted up using my last burned iso (2011-11 dated, could perhaps do with a new one) with the intention to back off my openssl update, but progress was stymied by pacman --root or pacman --sysroot failing due to by /etc/mtab file being empty on that iso (not sure if a more uptodate iso would help there or not), so I slept on it and today I decided to manually unpack the old openssl package by hand over the top of everthing, and so far even as hacky as that is it seems to have got me up and running again.

So yeah, as the title says I'm slightly surprised that breaking the linking of openssl libraries can stop a system from booting, but apparently it can.  I'm not sure what I'd need to update alongside openssl to fix that, perhaps just systemd and pacman, right? That would still leave user applications apparently broken, but that is fixable with effective use of pacman.  I should just bite the bullet and increase the size of my /usr partition, but where's the fun in that?

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#2 2023-03-22 15:03:35

abaumann
Administrator
Website

Re: openssl is more crotical than I thpught

So you could install all openssl versions you need (openssl-1.0, openssl-1.1 and openssl (3.x)) from an ISO or so and chrooting into your
broken environment (hope bash doesn't depend on openssl). This should at least make your system boot again.

Board footer