You are not logged in.

#26 2019-06-14 22:00:23

prenex

Re: RC410M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200M]

andreas_baumann wrote:

This is amazing! Way to go. :-)

That's exactly how we can make use of old hardware when more people are willing
to get their hands dirty and start to fix problems.

Maybe I can look up other issues despite they are of smaller performance upgrades or specific issues for games I like but have glitches.
At least now I have working hacks to enable HyperZ on my machine too (that is a new thing and an other bug report)... it was not working before neither and it gives a small boost. Currently my quickfix likely only fixes things on my very own machine, but at least I see the direction of the problem maybe.

Proper solution is still far away and stock mesa works for many others with HyperZ and r300:

https://bbs.archlinux32.org/post.php?ac … t&tid=2739

andreas_baumann wrote:

It also shows another important thing: companies with open specs should be favoured
in OpenSource, as they can be made working even after the company is no longer maintaining
drivers. Companies like Nvidia are not really a good example..

Nvidia only gives closed drivers now and still no docs and stuff? I understand they did so in the past, but I have no idea what they do today. If they only give the closed ones and not open specs that is really bad, because even if they ship good and working drivers to linux there will be a time when they just stop working and no one will have any idea whatsoever what to do - except bloody reversing sessions :-(

It would be amazing if there would be some law that any person who shares a source code or docs for any IT system not updated and supported in the last two years - let it be from any source they get their hands on it - should do that freely for the happiness of humanity. There is no real reason to not share unsupported products sources and specs - except capitalist business bigotry...

andreas_baumann wrote:

Really nice blog BTW. :-)

Thanks ;-)

#27 2019-06-14 22:15:51

levi

Re: RC410M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200M]

NVidia have only been shipping binary blobs for linux since i've been using Linux, or in other words something over 10 years ago now.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

Board footer