You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-15 13:12:34

mh166

Yay won't install

Hi everyone,

with one of the last updates, apparently, yay stopped working. I only got the error message:
yay: error while loading shared libraries: libalpm.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So after googling a bit, I tried the following solution:

$ sudo pacman -Rnsc yay
$ git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/yay.git
$ cd yay
$ makepkg -si

Unfortunately, pacman complains now about the architecture:

$ makepkg -si
==> WARNING: A package has already been built, installing existing package...
==> Installing package yay with pacman -U...
[sudo] password for user:
loading packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (package architecture is not valid)
:: package yay-9.4.2-1-i686 does not have a valid architecture
==> WARNING: Failed to install built package(s).

Do you have tipps on how to fix this issue and have a working yay again? Any help is very much appreciated.

Regards, mh166

#2 2019-12-15 19:06:49

levi

Re: Yay won't install

There is no package named yay in the repos, which suggests to me that you already built it the first time using AUR and forgot to update it to keep it working with your system.  I can see from the errors you already cloned it once into that folder and built it there, and it's refusing to rebuild.

Libalpm.so has been updated to version 12, so your library includes stopped working, because it explicitly suggested version 11.  I'm not sure what a reclone of a git repo actually does, so I'd suggest trying to do a git pull from inside the yay folder to see what that does.  It did get an update last october, so it looks like it didn't pick that up.

And then you didn't follow the suggested practices for working with AUR projects which are here.  Please adjust your arch inside the PKGBUILD and report back.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#3 2019-12-16 07:16:15

abaumann
Administrator
Website

"error: failed to prepare transaction (package architecture is not valid)"
tells me you should compare Architecture in /etc/pacman.config and arch=('pentium4' 'i686') in PKGBUILD.
Chances are that you got auto-updated to the pentium4 architecture (check for 'sse2' flag in /proc/cpuinfo).

As levi mentioned, you are completely on your own with packages from the AUR.

Also check out https://bbs.archlinux32.org/viewtopic.php?id=21 which explains how to build packages in the AUR.

#4 2019-12-17 12:20:24

mh166

Thank you very much, abaumann. This information was very helpful! A friend of mine set up this instance of Arch for me. And though not new to linux in gereneral, I'm still  figuring out the details of all the maintenance needed around Arch and the AUR.

And yes, you're absolutely right: my system got updated to pentium4. And, as adviced by my friend, I'm following the Arch Linux {,32} Update news. So I even remember the pentium4 update announcement. But as there was no mentioning of actions required on settings for AUR, I did nothing in that regard. But thanks to your help, I could update the /etc/makepkg.conf, edit the PKGBUILD file to include the architecture as well ... and all went smooth from there on.

Thank you very much!

Board footer