You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-16 17:33:17

levi

[SOLVED] Claws-mail won't start

Since this morning, as the title says, claws-mail refuses to start.  The command line logs are:

claws.c:102:Starting Claws Mail version Claws Mail 3.17.5
utils.c:1711:using default rc_dir /home/williain/.claws-mail
main.c:2256:Using control socket /tmp/claws-mail-1000/3051d0dd3c339f67e5c25bde1694ed4b
main.c:2351:another Claws Mail instance is already running.

** (process:1385): WARNING **: 16:48:07.532: Socket IO timeout

** (process:1385): WARNING **: 16:48:07.533: [2020-08-16 16:48:07] Socket IO timeout.

Claws Mail is already running on display .

I noticed that the first time I'd tried to run it, it left /tmp/claws-mail-1000/3051* behind, which survived a reboot because my /tmp folder is just part of my root fs.  So I removed it, but it still logs that another instance is running.  Now it does create that file, but removes it when it quits.  I've also searched my ~/.claws-mail for files matching *lock* or *lck*, but can't find anything that looks like a lock file to me.

As above, this behaviour persists a reboot, and before I start the failing instance (and after), there is no claws-mail running according to ps -e.  Any suggestions for what I need to do to get it running again?  I'll worry about the socket IO errors later, because the message about another instance running appears pretty directly after starting, while the socket IO errors are after a timeout.  I started that command at about 16:45 or shortly thereafter.

Last edited by levi (2020-09-29 05:49:34)

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#2 2020-08-17 16:20:18

levi

Re: [SOLVED] Claws-mail won't start

I also run if under strace with options '-f -e open' which I found on the internet, but that dumps out loads of process signal stuff and doesn't seem to flag any file accesses, at least before the error that it's already running.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#3 2020-09-18 15:07:06

levi

I just tried commenting out my plugins to see if they were the cause (I presume preceding the lines with # in my clawsrc does that job, at least it didn't complain about it and didn't recreate my .claws-mail/RSSyl folder).  However, that didn't fix anything; it still complains about that control socket.

Can anyone reproduce?  You don't need to have configured accounts or anything to hit this bug; it seems to happen even if claws enters it's setup wizard.

So in my experience, the steps to reproduce are:

1. # pacman -Sy[u] claws-mail
2. $ claws-mail

The last call should bring up a window titled, 'setup wizard', but in the terminal I expect it to moan about a missing .claws-mail folder then reproduce the errors listed in the OP.  After a minute or two the tool will terminate.

FWIW, I've migrated my news reading over to newsboat, and I think I may stick with that even once claws-mail with RSSyl works again.  It seems to be more immune to theyworkforus and youtube bumping old posts, and I like the way it displays html feeds (although I don't know how it does this exactly, so it may be subject to js hacks).  But I'm missing certain kernel mailing list posts and anyone else whose emailing me for over a month now. I tried setting up mutt but even reading my preexisting emails in that took a lot of configuration and I haven't learned what the key is for changing what mail folder you're viewing.  I will persist with this, albeit slowly, but it would be nice if claws-mail came back still, or at least someone could reproduce this error.  One of these days I'll get around to raising this as a bug.

#4 2020-09-29 05:49:08

levi

This seems to have been fixed by today's upgrade.  Only got a months worth of mail to sort through now...

Not sure what fixed it.  Claws itself wasn't upgraded, and of the things the claws-mail package documents as dependencies none of those were upgraded either.  And I haven't rebooted yet, so presumably I'm still running the old kernel.  Ah well, it's working for me so doesn't really deserve much more investigation.

Board footer