You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-10 12:52:25

gotchafr

epiphany 3.38.3/webkit 2.30.5 - pentium4/i915 - Pages fail to render

Hi All,

Some pages are initially rendered correctly. Upon hovering on a href, rendering becomes invisible.

Can be checked on any wikipedia.org page. Always visible if url preceded by "ephy-reader:" (read mode)

Other pages do not render at all.

Tracked this down to a compositing problem.

This workaround did the trick:

WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1 epiphany

References:

Epiphany doesn't render webpages
https://www.reddit.com/r/gnome/comments … _webpages/

Some webpages appear blank with webkit2gtk3-2.22.3
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/epiphany/-/issues/570

mesa 18.2.3 update breaks accelerated compositing in WebKitGTK+, many webpages fail to display
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1646150

Any idea on how to solve this issue?

Big THX!

#2 2021-04-10 14:33:59

levi

Re: epiphany 3.38.3/webkit 2.30.5 - pentium4/i915 - Pages fail to render

What's the problem with using the workaround going forward?  I'd guess it could run slower, but in general being right is always preferable to being fast but wrong.

I initially thought those references were pertinent to this issue, but they're all 2.5yrs old, and long closed, and we're not debian here, so they shouldn't be directly relevant.

Is this a JS problem like some of those references indicate?  If so that strikes me as a good idea, because sites displaying more of less static information shouldn't need to run any javascript, but I guess a few users using epihany are unlikely to provide enough momentum to cause them to rewrite.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#3 2021-04-10 15:57:06

gotchafr

Hi levi,

I posted this for all those who could be facing this problem. And, of course, you are right, the workaround does work, so one can live with it. What is lost? Well I guess that some window effects like smooth scrolling and other of the kind.

I have chosen epiphany on this old Celeron M rig cause of its rather small footprint. I agree that the epiphany user's club is surely not very crowded :-P
If someone has a suggestion, of a light weight browser, more mainstream in the arch32 environment, I'll surely give it a try (Midori?)

The references seem to point to a mesa version issue affecting epiphany and probably other gnome apps, not really related AFAIK to JS.

Cheers.

PS: Sorry, I didn't understand the Debian reference, but I do know arch32 is community driven and this is why I wished to help. ;-)

#4 2021-04-10 19:07:23

levi

Sorry, the debian reference was a slightly pejorative joke about the tendency of debian users to use older software.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

Board footer