cx

pls. update xmobar pkg

-- it's been overdue for half a year and I've been missing it so bad:

Arch64: v 0.38-8   vs.   Arch32: v 0.36-74

Thx in advance!

#2 2021-07-19 16:39:12

levi

Re: pls. update xmobar pkg

No bulld errors that I can see.  Perhaps it's just been dropped off the list of packages to build in error.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#3 2021-07-19 16:46:42

deep42thought
Administrator

This one is held back by haskell packages.
To put it diplomaticly: compiling haskell packages is a nightmare - so we mostly gave up on them.

#4 2021-07-21 19:07:31

cx

Well, that's sad to hear~
But since there's tons of haskell stuff, I can imagine building that is not a cakewalk at all..

Yet compiling them myself with cabal is not a solution either; a whole xmonad desktop build very likely only works until the next update.

On the other side, xmonad (ignoring the size of the gcc file itself, which can be uninstalled afterwards) is lightweight, flexible, easy to configure (once you're into grips with haskell a little bit) and perfect for old machines, especially laptops. – So it would be great if you also keep continuing having your hands on haskell...

Edit: Of course I mean ghc.

Last edited by cx (2021-07-21 19:18:37)

#5 2021-07-21 19:13:47

deep42thought
Administrator

the problem is not the amount of haskell to build - the problem is, that rebuilding any haskell package breaks all packages, that depend on it. This in combination with circular dependencies (foo depends on bar and bar depends on foo for testing) makes building haskell related stuff (almost) impossible. Archlinuxarm dropped haskell AFAIK - and we're seriously considering it.

In case, you have any idea regarding the issues, we face with haskell, we'd be happy to get any fresh thoughts smile

regards,
deep42thought

#6 2021-07-21 20:09:49

cx

Sadly enough, I am just a "normal" (?) user, so I don't have any really.
Sure I feel with you, guys – having a look e.g. at xmonad-git, the haskell pkg version trouble is hell! And once say, xmonad(-git), is published, xmonad-contrib(-git) must follow.

In early days I quickly had to learn, it is never a good idea to build xmonad/xmobar from the AUR.
Xmonad itself still is a very neat rock solid wm – but only after it's building has been done! And only official Arch pkgs can assure that...

Maybe you could keep the ghc and cabal-install as packages; at least the latter has got only a few haskell deps. So users can build cabalized haskell stuff with official tools in their $HOME.

Or just keep ghc + ghc-(libs,static), if this makes sense. The only optional(?) haskell dependency seems haskell-hscolour.
Building a cabalized xmonad desktop was ages ago for me though, so I can't remember in detail; official Arch haskell pkgs might had conflicted self-built ones.

Board footer