You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-24 04:27:06

gameslayer

Repo issues

Hi just want to report I have been having annoying repo issues where I have had to do sudo pacman -Syu a lot to get packages to install from the stable repo otherwise it will say there is no valid architecture for pentium4 or i686. I also made a AUR package and added all the architectures arch32 supports and it seems to run into the same issue even tho I made the package support arch32. The only way  I could get around it was by setting the architecture to any

Here is my AUR package for example:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/icytower/

I have also been having issues with pamac doing the same exact thing or a rare weird issue I had was even tho I cancelled installing a package on the gui it will still want to try and install it even tho I cancelled it and was either doing a update or installing another package which is a bit frustrating.

Last edited by gameslayer (2021-12-24 04:31:58)

#2 2021-12-24 10:52:00

abaumann
Administrator
Website

Re: Repo issues

Hi, did you check https://bbs.archlinux32.org/viewtopic.php?id=2833, especially the notes about the AUR and /etc/makepkg.conf (CHOST,
CARCH)?

I just tried with:
yay -G icytower
makepkg -s

I had no trouble to build it on pentium4..

#3 2021-12-24 11:57:36

gameslayer

Hmm I see, I have added those architectures to my package but idk why I was having issues installing it but even with packages on Arch32's repo I was running into this issue until I did pacman -Syu at times

#4 2021-12-24 14:06:37

abaumann
Administrator
Website

Sometimes also the mirrors are not exactly in sync, also a common cause of issues..

#5 2021-12-24 16:33:48

levi

I wonder if you're just booting off a really old boot medium.  Having to repeatedly do pacman -Syu to even get pentium4 packages sounds like you're running old code to me, and I'm slightly surprised it still works.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#6 2021-12-27 07:30:50

gameslayer

levi wrote:

I wonder if you're just booting off a really old boot medium.  Having to repeatedly do pacman -Syu to even get pentium4 packages sounds like you're running old code to me, and I'm slightly surprised it still works.

Like a old Arch32 image or machine? it's a current up to date image I installed not that long ago.

#7 2021-12-27 21:40:55

levi

Okay, not that then.  My thought was that there've been a couple of significant changes over the past couple of years and I wondered if you were reliving that.

Presumably you were running off an installed i686 image while your machine was actually capable of running pentium4.  There were special instructions to follow when switching to a new arch.  Perhaps you just mean that in doing automatic upgrades it only changes packages whose source has been updated (or there was a build configuration snafu that's been fixed).  I'd still recommend doing a full update of all your packages just to catch some old ones.  My oldest currently dates to April 2019 (idnkit).  I actually have some i686 packages still installed including gksu apparently, which I don't quite understand how that's not been built for pentum4 - apparently not though now I check.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#8 2021-12-29 04:22:42

gameslayer

levi wrote:

Okay, not that then.  My thought was that there've been a couple of significant changes over the past couple of years and I wondered if you were reliving that.

Presumably you were running off an installed i686 image while your machine was actually capable of running pentium4.  There were special instructions to follow when switching to a new arch.  Perhaps you just mean that in doing automatic upgrades it only changes packages whose source has been updated (or there was a build configuration snafu that's been fixed).  I'd still recommend doing a full update of all your packages just to catch some old ones.  My oldest currently dates to April 2019 (idnkit).  I actually have some i686 packages still installed including gksu apparently, which I don't quite understand how that's not been built for pentum4 - apparently not though now I check.

Hmm I see, I used the archlinux32-2021.12.01-i686.iso and my system has always been up to date and still is now but I think it might be fixed.

I can confirm pamac is the one having the issue with the AUR package while yay isn't so that will need to be fixed/corrected

EDIT:

Nope I still need to do

sudo pacman -Syyuu

to fix the repo so it doesn't think the architecture is wrong at times, I will add that I did use archfi install script to help me install arch32 as I am a little rusty on Arch but that shouldn't have anything to do with this.

Last edited by gameslayer (2021-12-29 05:59:43)

Board footer