You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-04 23:24:00

levi

Haskell install fails

Installing pandoc drags in most of haskell, but when installing it the installation process ends with:

:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/2) Registering Haskell modules...
error: command failed to execute correctly

I guess this will interfere with initcpio rebuilds during future kernel updates, because pacman seems to bail out due to this error

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#2 2022-06-05 07:54:29

abaumann
Administrator
Website

Re: Haskell install fails

Yeah, Haskell is sort of completely broken. I either have to bootstrap it (currently I end up in segfaults in ghc itself) or I have to drop it
(loosing pandoc, shellcheck and xmonad, some of the more prominent Haskell packages).
ArchlinuxARM BTW never had or now doesn't have Haskell at all too..
The main problem with Haskell (on Arch) is: myriads of haskell-* modules which have sticky hashes inside the generated shared libraries, which
makes rebuilds - let's say - interesting. And the second one the bootstrapping issue, if something goes really wrong with the Haskell compiler
on your platform.
From an academical point of view I rather like Haskell (its C-- backend, the bootstrapping, the programming language per se).. sadly it was always
a little bit niche (both in use and people using it).

#3 2022-06-05 08:03:15

abaumann
Administrator
Website

About the hook "Registering Haskell modules". Failing hooks should not cause issues for other hooks or packages not depending on those failing hooks (TM).
I don't know, if that's the case for Haskell, but in the worst case we can just uninstall all of Haskell, I think.

#4 2022-06-05 08:09:27

abaumann
Administrator
Website

This a post I once found, cannot judge myself tough: https://dixonary.co.uk/blog/haskell/cabal-2020

#5 2022-06-05 17:48:52

levi

Yeah, perhaps pacman doesn't bail out if that was the last step in the install process that day.  II only installled pandoc because was listed by youtube-dl from AUR, although I doubt it needs it at runtime, so maybe I can drop it by editing the PLGBUILD more effectively, although when I makepkged it after half installing pandoc it claimed the source from github wasn't the right source.  But now I look you have packages for both youtube-dl and yt-dlp, and they seem to be uptodate enough for my uses

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#6 2023-04-04 17:52:00

abaumann
Administrator
Website

YFJI: I dropped Haskell now on Arch32.. fed up..

Board footer