You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-28 10:48:44

vinvin

EeePC not able to shutdown or sleep

Hi, I've had an EeePC 900 for quite some time now, and in the past year it became unable to power down or hibernate or sleep, just rebooting or going out of sleep immediately. As it worked for many years, I thought it was a system update or corruption of an old SSD that made it fail at some point, but I just reinstalled Arch Linux 32 (it has a 32-bit celeron) on a new SSD and the problem is still here.

The only BIOS update I made was in the last month for new SSD support, so the failure is unrelated. The BIOS is very simple and does not expose any power management or CPU settings, just hard drive order for the boot sequence. I tried disabling all the wake-up sources in /proc/acpi/wakeup, it doesn't change anything, and that wouldn't explain the shutdown problem anyway. The logs look just like a normal suspend and restore log happening within the same second.

What could cause that, a hardware problem? Of which kind?

I might add that the Ethernet port stopped working, possibly at the same time, I haven't noticed when because I seldom use it.

Thanks for your help!

#2 2022-08-28 12:04:12

abaumann
Administrator
Website

Re: EeePC not able to shutdown or sleep

Mmh. Strange. I'm still using the older EeePC 700 4G model (see https://bbs.archlinux32.org/viewtopic.php?id=2935).
The only trick I had to do was to set "acpi_osi=Windows" in the boot options (don't know, it this is still needed).
All your hardware is slightly newer (Intel GPU, Ethernet, etc.), so I think, it should work longer than mine. :-)

#3 2022-08-28 17:12:11

vinvin

Thanks, I'll try adding it, but I should add that even the power off entry of the boot loader has the problem, it shuts down the computer which restarts a second later, so it's not a linux problem probably. Maybe syslinux is the problem? I remember I switched to that because grub was nor working well a decade ago, maybe I should try grub again...

#4 2022-08-28 18:34:54

abaumann
Administrator
Website

This sounds a little bit as if the boot loader doesn't find the kernel or/and ramdisk..
This can happen if mkinitcpio encounters errors while building the ramdisk (for instance when a shared library is missing, which
gets copied to the ramdisk, had this once I think with an icu library or so).

#5 2022-08-28 20:31:31

levi

I'm using an eeepc 901 and I'm able to poweroff okay, and I've also been testing out rtcwakeing to mem recently (can't get disk to work even after enabling enough swap, but to mem works okay).  I seem to remember the eeePC 900 was a bit of a frankenstein device but I can't remember why now.  Cerainly I waited until the 901 can out.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#6 2022-08-28 20:48:26

vinvin

Suspend to disk works for me, it just wakes up for no reason after a second. Thanks for the share levi.

abaumann, I don't see how the boot loader would not find the kernel or ramdisk because it boots properly with all options I put in the initramfs and everything is working well, except powering down the computer.

#7 2022-08-29 05:44:25

levi

Suspend to disk here also blanks the screen but shortly afterward brightens it again and reports a write error.  I've not investigated any further, as suspend to mem works and is good enough for me.

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#8 2022-08-29 14:12:03

mocambo

levi wrote:

Suspend to disk here also blanks the screen but shortly afterward brightens it again and reports a write error.  I've not investigated any further, as suspend to mem works and is good enough for me.

I am too experienced write error on suspending to disk. Solved it by closing most of programs before suspending and/or clearing the swap.

RAM 2Gb
SWAP 4Gb
Pentium4

Board footer