You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-15 13:12:15

tin23

pgp and segmentation fault when trying pacman

I'm trying to download archlinux32 on my old 32 bit pc. ive done things clear until trying to install grub when chrooted with pacman. first it said "failed to init transaction (unable to lock database)" and when i fixed that it asked me if i was going to import the pgp key <whatever> from <whoever> and when i said yes it would wait a couple of seconds and then just give a segmentation fault error.
when i add --debug flag on it, i can see that:
debug: looking up key <>  locally
debug: key lookup failed, unknown key
downloading required keys
:: Import pgp key <>, "<>" [y/n] y
debug: looking up key arch32 at whatever dot net using wkd
debug: gpg error: end of file
debug: looking up key whatever remotely

error: segmentation fault
please submit a full bug report with --debug if appropriate.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I have intel pentium dual-core and 3gigs of ram if this has anything to do with it.
i can provide more info if you demand
thanks in advance!!

#2 2022-11-15 19:55:52

levi

Re: pgp and segmentation fault when trying pacman

I wouldn't be surprised if the pentium dual-core supports a 64-bit ISA.  From recollection it went pentium 4->core solo->core duo->core II, and all of the celeron and pentium chips from then on were really downgraded core I chips. But even if it does your welcome to install 32-bit archlinux on it if you want.

Out of interest, how did you fix the failure of pacman to  gain its lock file? You should normally be arch-chrooting as root and end up as root, so it should be able to do what is likes with its lock file.  Segfaults are famously difficult to debug, so I'm trying to get a handle on the state the machine was in prior to you running pacman,

Architecture: pentium4, Testing repos: Yes, Hardware: EeePC 901+2GB RAM+OS half on the SD card.

#3 2022-11-18 09:25:21

tin23

levi wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the pentium dual-core supports a 64-bit ISA.  From recollection it went pentium 4->core solo->core duo->core II, and all of the celeron and pentium chips from then on were really downgraded core I chips. But even if it does your welcome to install 32-bit archlinux on it if you want.

Out of interest, how did you fix the failure of pacman to  gain its lock file? You should normally be arch-chrooting as root and end up as root, so it should be able to do what is likes with its lock file.  Segfaults are famously difficult to debug, so I'm trying to get a handle on the state the machine was in prior to you running pacman,

Well, I realised that it was supporting 64-bit after literally burning my harddisk and switching to one with windows installed and looked through the my computer properties. after that i just installed 64-bit arch linux and it worked like a charm big_smile
for your second question: i just used the "rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck" command as the pacman error itself suggests. thank you for your reply.

#4 2022-11-18 10:55:47

abaumann
Administrator
Website

I wonder, if this goes away with pacman 6.0.2? There were some segfault fixes in pacman lately (https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/73534)..

Board footer